What is Piano for Pleasure?
At Piano For Pleasure adults of all ages enjoy playing the piano in a relaxing, fun environment.
Located at Bottle Works, a community arts facility in the historic Cambria City neighborhood of Johnstown, Piano For Pleasure was founded upon the core principles of Recreational Music Making (RMM):
- All people should experience the joy and benefits of music making
- Music making can be enjoyed without stress and performance requirements
- Music making can nurture the whole person and improve quality of life
- Music making is beneficial to the health of the participant
“I love that learning piano is something I am doing just for me…I feel like a kid again learning something new!”
At Piano for Pleasure, classes are taught in small groups and feature the following:
- A friendly, supportive learning environment: we enjoy each other’s company!
- Generous 75-minute classes allow time for instruction, individual practice and review, ensemble playing, and socializing
- Most activities take place on headphones: hear yourself, and hear the instructor talking and demonstrating
- The instructor’s hands and the printed music are projected on a TV screen
- Short, manageable sessions offered year-round
- No more than eight students per class
- Playing for the class is always voluntary, and there are NO RECITALS!
Piano for Pleasure is inside the Art Works building of BOTTLE WORKS, located at 411 3rd Avenue in historic Cambria City. Parking is free, the building is handicapped accessible, and the studio and restrooms are on the main floor. Class participants are invited to relax and view the art work before or after class, and the gallery shop will be open. There’s also free Wi-Fi!